Small North Carolina brewers and alcohol wholesalers raised glasses on Thursday to what they call a legislative compromise that allows the breweries to keep control of their products longer as they grow.
Updated at 4:56 p.m. ET President Trump used his veto pen for the first time Friday, after Congress tried to reverse his national emergency declaration and rein in spending on a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Congressional critics do not appear to have the votes to override Trump's veto. So, as a practical matter, the administration can continue to spend billions of dollars more on border barriers than lawmakers authorized, unless and until the courts intervene. "Today I am vetoing this...
Six months ago Hurricane Florence battered the Carolinas and doused the region for days with heavy rains. The historic storm broke 18 flood records across North Carolina, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Coastal communities remain in recovery mode, with businesses attempting to finish repairs by the next tourist season and residents still trying to navigate complex housing, insurance and unemployment processes.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Christchurch shootings: Attacker had gun licence
- Trump issues veto over border emergency declaration
- Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman sued for $500bn in college cheating scam
- Pompeo presses Kim Jong-un to keep his word on nuclear tests
- Algerian protests against President Bouteflika 'biggest yet'
- Climate strikes spread worldwide as students call for action