The new fiscal year started this week, a time when local governments implement the new budgets they spent months working on over the spring. In the city of Durham, that budget has been the subject of a protest for several weeks now. In particular, demonstrators object to a 5% increase in funding for the city’s police department, which is getting more than $70 million over the next year.
The United States has reached a daily global record for the coronavirus pandemic — reporting more than 55,000 new COVID-19 cases. The daily U.S. tally stood at 55,274 late Thursday, which exceeds the previous single-day record of 54,771 set by Brazil on June 19. Johns Hopkins University & Medicine's Coronavirus Resource Center , which tracks the virus worldwide, says the total number of cases reported in the U.S. stands at 2,739,879, an increase of 53,399 over Wednesday's figure. Brazil has...
North Carolina’s COVID-19 cases continue to climb, and the state’s Black and Latino populations are being hit the hardest. Black citizens comprise about 22% of the state’s population, but they account for a third of deaths. And nearly half of the people who have tested positive identify as Hispanic, even though the group makes up less than 10% of the state’s population.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Fourth of July: Trump vows to defeat 'radical left' in Independence Day speech
- Hong Kong security law: Pro-democracy books pulled from libraries
- Underwater cave in Mexico reveals ancient Mayan secrets
- Hachalu Hundessa: Ethiopia singer's death unrest killed 166
- Tiger kills Zurich zookeeper in front of visitors and staff
- Kanye West again says he will run for president