In 38 counties across North Carolina, zero defendants who were charged with sexual assault between Jan. 1, 2014, and June 30, 2018, were convicted of that charge or a reduced charge during that time window, according to analysis of statewide court data by Carolina Public Press.
Updated at 3:20 p.m. ET As floodwaters begin to recede, Vice President Pence announced in a tweet that he would visit Nebraska on Tuesday to take stock of the devastation. His visit comes as 74 cities, 65 counties and four tribal areas have declared states of emergency in Nebraska, according to the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency. Additionally, nearly half of Iowa's counties are covered by Gov. Kim Reynolds' disaster proclamations . Water submerged large swaths of those states, as well...
Tayari Jone s is committed to writing about the South as she sees it. Her critically-acclaimed novels are all deeply rooted in Atlanta and explore the intersection of black family stories with the structures that define American life.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Christchurch shootings: Jacinda Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Brazil gunmen shoot at convoy carrying nuclear fuel in Angra dos Reis
- Weedkiller glyphosate a 'substantial' cancer factor
- Cyclone Idai: 'Massive disaster' in Mozambique and Zimbabwe
- Danish MP's baby 'not welcome' in chamber
- Boeing: US orders review of 737 Max licence to fly