Fewer than one in four defendants charged with sexual assault in North Carolina can expect to be convicted of that charge or a related reduced charge, and some parts of the state generate few if any sexual assault convictions, according to Carolina Public Press' analysis of state court data. The picture is not universal. A few counties have conviction levels well above the state average.
Updated at 2 p.m. ET Dutch police have arrested a man they call the main suspect in a shooting that left three people dead and five others wounded on a tram in the city of Utrecht on Monday. A motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a "possible terrorist motive" for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute. Police arrested Gokmen Tanis, 37, who was born in Turkey. He had been identified as a...
Georgia Beasley was one of the most impressive athletes to come up through the Duke University women’s basketball program. When she graduated in 2001, she was part of the then-winningest senior class in its history, with 111 career victories. Beasley was named ACC Player of the Year in 2000 and 2001, and her performance led her to be drafted into the still-young WNBA. But Beasley always knew her remarkable sports career would not be a lifelong pursuit.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Christchurch shootings: Ardern vows never to say gunman's name
- Cyclone Idai: Mozambique president says 1,000 may have died
- Italy's La Scala opera house to return Saudi millions
- Christchurch shootings: Facebook gives new details on NZ attack video
- Dutch shooting: Utrecht police arrest suspect after three killed
- Three dead in record flooding in US Midwestern states