WUNC Is Tinted 'Bluegrass' This Week For IBMA
You might notice a slightly different sound during Morning Edition, Here and Now and throughout the evenings this week on WUNC. With all the bluegrass flurry happening in Raleigh this week we thought we'd sprinkle in just a bit of bluegrass with the music interludes we play during announcements and between programs this week.
Here's why: the International Bluegrass Music Association marks its third year of six in Raleigh. The annual industry conference features the prestigious IBMA Music Awards on Thursday and concerts across the city on Friday and Saturday as a part of Wide Open Bluegrass and the World of Bluegrass festival.
You'll hear IBMA discussed during Morning Edition. Meanwhile, The State of Things plans to feature bluegrass artists when it broadcasts from Raleigh on Thursday and Friday.
So, keep an ear out for a bit of bluegrass this week on WUNC. We will feature tunes from IBMA Award honorees and nominees like Steve Martin, Balsam Range, Alison Krauss, Del McCoury and Punch Brothers. We will also feature a special recording by local favorites Chatham County Line. They came in to the WUNC's studio to record an instrumental version of this tribute to Raleigh and the IBMA called "Living In Raleigh Now." Here's that tune:
Along with a video of the group performing the song in our studio:
Some of the other artists you could hear this week:
North Carolina bluegrass band Balsam Range. The group is nominated for Song of the Year with "Moon Over Memphis"
- "Backdraft" by Balsam Range (nominated for "Instrumental Performance of the Year")
- "Natural Bridge" by Bela Fleck
- "My Time is Running Out" by Big Country Bluegrass
- "Nelia's Dance" by Bryan Sutton
- "Streets of Baltimore" by The Del McCoury Band (Del is nominated for "Entertainer of the Year")
- "Dotted Line" by Nickle Creek
- "My Oh My," "Looped" and a "Passepied (Debussy)" by Punch Brothers
- "Living in Raleigh Now" by Chatham County Line. Below is the vocal video version:
- "Song for Gretta" by James Alan Shelton
- "The Great Remember (For Nancy)" by Steve Martin
- "Never Got Off the Ground" by Alison Krauss
- "Long Journey" by Sara Jarosz
- and more