StoryCorps is planning its first ever virtual visit to WUNC this summer. The Military Voices Initiative will "virtually visit" the station to facilitate approximately 50 recording sessions from July 27-August 7. This project provides a platform for veterans, service members, and their families to preserve their stories at the Library of Congress (at no cost to the participants).
If you would like to participate in the project, please sign-up here.
Those interested can also join WUNC for a free virtual event on July 27 at 7:00 PM to learn more about this special project.
- Participants will be interviewed by a friend or family member. A member of the StoryCorps team will facilitate the interview, but will not ask questions unless prompted.
- Participants do not have to specifically discuss their experience with the military. StoryCorps offers pages of discussion topics.
- Participants do not have to reside in WUNC’s listening area as long as the person planning to interview them does. Likewise, if a participant lives in WUNC’s listening area, they can be interviewed by a family member or friend who lives outside of this area.
- Participants do not have to be veterans, they can be active duty service members, military spouses, or the children of veterans/active duty service members.
- After the 40-minute interview has concluded, participants can choose to share the interview with their local station and it will be archived at the Library of Congress. If the participants are not comfortable sharing their stories, they will get a copy of the recording and StoryCorps will delete it. Participants are not obligated to share their interview.