On The Lawn & More In Durham This Year; Concerts Co-Sponsored By WUNC
This year, WUNC's co-sponsored On The Lawn series expands to include not only concerts "on the lawn" at American Tobacco but also "Music Down Under" and "Sounds of Bull City."
Most of the concerts will be on the grassy lawn beneath the Lucky Strike tower as in years past. Others will happen at near the outfield section of Durham Bulls Athletic Park (Home Run Patio) or at the Down Under Patio near Saladelia.
The events are free and open to the public. You're encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets to the "on the lawn" events. No bottles allowed.
Make sure to check out our series of Mill Music Sessions in Rocky Mount, too.
Here's a run down of performers at American Tobacco:
- April 12 (Home Run Patio) - Adam Pitts is one of the area’s leading one-man-bands. He’s a songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and the consummate entertainer. Stats at 6:30 p.m.-LStp1eU
- May 24 (ATC Down Under Patio) - Crucial Fiya play reggae with the drive for an R&B band. It’s infectious and will likely turn the Down Under patio into a Caribbean dance party.
- June 14 (WUNC Music on the Lawn) - Nikki Hill is a remarkable singer fronting a band that will make you believe in rock and roll again. The NC-based band has played their grizzled, edgy songs for audiences across the US, Europe and Australia. Nikki Hill is a force.
- June 21- (WUNC Music on the Lawn) - Will Hoge has both hit number one on the Country Charts and sung his heart out for the indie-music world. He’s authentic, memorable and puts on a great live show.
- August 23 (WUNC Music on the Lawn) – Yarn / Songs from the Road Band is a double bill that should not be missed. The Grammy nominated Americana band Yarn are joined by the Songs from the Road, a fresh new bluegrass band lead by Charles Humphrey formerly of the Steep Canyon Rangers.
- August 30 (WUNC Music on the Lawn) - Lilly Hiatt is a gutsy songwriter from Nashville who leads a band that lays it all out in their live shows. She’s got a fresh, honest sound that lights up the stage. North Carolina native Anne Claire Niver opens the show.
- October 6 (date tentative) – WUNC Music’s Sounds of the Bull City – a showcase event featuring some of Durham’s emerging bands.