US Deploying 3K More Fort Bragg Troops To Mideast As Reinforcements

Jan 3, 2020

About 700 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division deployed from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to the Middle East on January 1, 2020.
Credit Jay Price / WUNC

The United States is sending nearly 3,000 more Army troops to the Mideast in the volatile aftermath of the killing of an Iranian general in a strike ordered by President Donald Trump.

Defense officials said the troops are from the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. They are in addition to about 700 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne who deployed to Kuwait earlier this week after the storming of the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad by Iran-backed militiamen and their supporters.

The reinforcements took shape as Trump gave his first comments on the strike. He said he ordered the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani because he was "plotting to kill" many Americans.