Organizers in Fayetteville want to transform a regional museum into a statewide history center focusing on the Civil War and Reconstruction. But critics worry even if it’s built with the best of intentions, it could divide the community along racial lines.
Polling by NPR finds that while rural Americans are mostly satisfied with life, there is a strong undercurrent of financial insecurity that can create very serious problems for many people living in rural communities. The findings come from two surveys NPR has done with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health on day-to-day life and health in rural America. After a major poll we did last fall found that a majority (55%) of rural Americans rate their...
For years, the Cherokee County Department of Social Services illegally removed dozens, and potentially even hundreds, of children from their homes . Instead of seeking an official court order from a judge, DSS workers instead instructed numerous families to sign custody and visitation agreements (CVAs) to authorize removal of their children.
Like & Follow WUNC
- 2019 Australia election: Liberal-National coalition secures majority
- Iranian threats 'put on hold', says US defence chief
- Tributes paid to F1 legend Niki Lauda
- Austrian far-right FPÖ quits Kurz government after sacking
- Pakistani children worst affected in HIV outbreak
- 'Twin tornadoes' spotted in Oklahoma