North Carolina Republican lawmakers could soon reach their first legislative showdown with Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper since his party increased House and Senate seat totals during the last elections.
Updated on Tuesday at 5:25 a.m. ET Notre Dame Cathedral, one of the world's most famous churches, erupted in flames Monday in Paris, losing its spire but remaining otherwise largely intact after firefighters worked through the night to contain the fire. The commander of the Paris firefighter brigade, Jean-Claude Gallet, said Monday night that the cathedral's main structure and two towers of the cathedral had been saved. Firefighters said they had contained the flames by early morning local...
When Nadia Orton’s kidneys were failing, she sent letters to friends and relatives in the hopes that someone could be a donor or help defray the cost. Orton’s great-aunt Philgradore responded with money from her church. So a few years later, when Aunt Phil asked on her deathbed that her family not be forgotten, Orton knew she had to find a way to honor her ancestors. The problem was that she didn’t know who they were, or where to find them.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Notre-Dame fire: Cathedral saved within crucial half hour
- Indonesia election: Millions vote in 'identity-defining' poll
- Early ocean plastic litter traced to 1960s
- Spanish far-right Vox party banned from TV debate
- Egypt constitutional changes could mean Sisi rule until 2030
- Russian MPs cry foul in row over electronic voting