Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri May 11, 2012
Thousands Graduating This Weekend
Thousands of graduating seniors will get their degrees this weekend. The three largest universities in the Triangle: Duke, NC State, and UNC Chapel Hill, all hold commencement ceremonies.
Dave DeWitt: Last-minute preparations are ongoing for the big events, including building stages, arranging chairs, and families checking into hotel rooms.
But for those graduating, like Mohammad Saad at UNC Chapel Hill, these last few days elicit conflicting emotions.
Mohammad Saad: It’s been a great experience so far, it’s a lot of nostalgia at this point. It’s kind of bittersweet, you absolutely love this place, you don’t want to leave, but then again, you’re excited for the next step.
Saad and his fellow UNC graduates will get degrees on Sunday. Duke also holds its commencement on Mother’s Day. Students at NC State graduate Saturday.