Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Wed July 20, 2011
Semprius to Build Plant in Henderson
A Durham company is planning to build a plant in Henderson that will produce one-of-a-kind solar modules.
Semprius was awarded state and county incentives to build its pilot production plant in Henderson. Semprius has been getting a lot of attention lately. The start-up company makes high concentration photo-voltaic solar modules which use mirrors and lenses to concentrate sunlight onto solar cells. Semprius will start building its new production plant this month. In the next few years, it is expected to employ more than 250 people. Officials say the plant will draw 120-million dollars in investment to the region. The state Commerce Department, the Golden Leaf Foundation, the Community College System and others have contributed to making the Semprius plant a reality.
Science & Technology