Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- VIDEO: Colbert Claims To Be A Tar Heel After Sister Loses SC Congressional Race
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Science & Technology
Fri May 11, 2012
"Propane Village" Opens In Raleigh
A training center opens in Raleigh this afternoon to highlight the latest uses for propane. North Carolina is the second largest user of the fuel behind California. John Jessup is the executive director of the North Carolina Propane Gas Association. He says propane burns cleaner and is cheaper than gasoline and diesel. He also says the natural gas boom is behind the boost in the propane supply.
John Jessup: 70 percent of it comes from the production of natural gas with all the hydraulic fracturing that's going on in the country. We've greatly increased the number of, the amount of propane that comes domestically from the United States. The rest of it, the other 30 percent is produced from oil manufacturing. It's all made here in the U.S.
Jessup says people visiting the Propane Village in Raleigh will see new developments including a propane powered outboard boat motor, a pick-up truck and a filling station.