Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed April 13, 2011
Michelle Obama at Camp Lejeune
First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are due at a celebration for 40 expectant mothers at Camp Lejeune this morning. The visit is part of a 2-day national tour and comes a day after Mrs. Obama announced a new initiative to support military families. The non-profit Operation Shower is hosting the event. LeAnn Morrissey, creator of Operation Shower, says she started the group as a way to give back to those wives whose husbands are fighting overseas.
LeAnn Morrissey: "You know, they deserve a baby shower just like every other mom who might be with family and friends, and maybe these moms aren’t. And the added stress of a deployment on top of that and worrying about your spouse who’s deployed. I would just encourage people to, even if it’s not with Operation Shower, that they think would be a great way to give back to the military families then to do it, to try it, and see what happens. You never know, and I think everything’s appreciated."
Operation Shower held its first unit-wide shower at Fort Bragg in June of 2007.