Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Mon August 8, 2011
Meet Mark Anthony Neal
Mark Anthony Neal grew up in a home where the record player spun mostly gospel and soul. His father’s music selections created the soundtrack of his youth and eventually guided Neal to become a pioneer in the field of pop culture studies. Today he’s a professor in the Department of African and African-American Studies at Duke University and the author of five books, including his latest, “New Black Man: Rethinking Black Masculinity” (Routledge/2005). Neal is also the host of “Left of Black,” a Web series that examines social issues within the context of African-American culture.