Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Mon August 20, 2012
Meet Jon Powell
Growing up in Garner, Jon Powell stayed out of trouble. His first encounter with the criminal justice system was as an attorney representing kids. The same kids, over and over again. After a while, his faith in the juvenile justice system to rehabilitate offenders was so low he turned to his religious faith to find a new path.
The result is the Juvenile Justice Project at Campbell Law School. Jon Powell runs it and uses a restorative justice model to keep kids out of the criminal justice system, and he hopes, out of his office forever. Jon Powell joins host Frank Stasio in the studio today to discuss his life and his work.