Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- VIDEO: Colbert Claims To Be A Tar Heel After Sister Loses SC Congressional Race
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed October 12, 2011
McFarlane Wins Raleigh Mayoral Race
Raleigh voters have elected the city's first new mayor in a decade-- City Council member Nancy McFarlane.
McFarlane beat Billie Redmond and Randall Williams with 61 percent of the vote. She says she's thrilled to be the city's next leader.
Nancy McFarlane:" It's a huge honor and it's very humbling to know that that many people have faith in you. It's also very exciting to know that that many people share a vision of Raleigh and where we're going to go. "
McFarlane is an entrepreneur who says she plans to continue the city's downtown revitalization program started by Raleigh's current mayor, Charles Meeker. She says she wants to help more small businesses open in the city and work to revitalize neighborhoods beyond the downtown area.