Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu February 24, 2011
Guilford Parents Want More Playtime
A group of parents in Guilford County wants daily recess in elementary schools. They will present a petition along with supporting research to a Board of Education meeting tonight. Currently, elementary school principals in Guilford County decide how students spend the time that's dedicated to physical activity . Parent Amy Hanson says recess helps children learn.
"Kids need a break from concentration, for their brains to process the information that they've taken in and to refresh them to learn more. Kids are also better behaved after recess and can focus more on learning."
State law requires students in kindergarten through eighth grade to have 30 minutes of exercise each day. But schools aren't required to provide unstructured recess.