Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Mon March 7, 2011
Ferry Improvements Coming for Cape Lookout
Ferry Service on the southern end of the Cape Lookout National Seashore will be getting an upgrade. Officials are planning new passenger service to the Shackleford Banks and Cape Lookout Lighthouse from either Beaufort or Morehead City. Wouter Kaytel from the National Park Service says the NPS plans to join forces with either of the two communities to streamline services and offer contracts to potential vendors. A public meeting will be held tomorrow night to gather feedback from residents.
"I'm very excited about making sure that there is a consistent long-term gateway to the park, that we can get people excited about the park and its resources and give them really good information as they leave for the park so that they actually know that they're going to a national park."
Kaytel says people will be able to get pamphlets and other resources en route to Shackleford Banks or Cape Lookout Lighthouse. The size of the boats will also be increased to accommodate more passengers.