Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri March 18, 2011
FDA Panel Advises Against Menthols
An FDA panel says removing menthol cigarettes from the market would benefit public health. The Food and Drug Administration advisory panel stopped short of recommending an outright ban on menthol cigarettes. But its report released earlier today says the minty flavoring in menthols makes it harder for smokers to quit.
Lorillard Incorporated manufactures Newport cigarettes- the top-selling menthol in the country and a popular product among African-Americans. Lorillard said in a statement they're not surprised by the panel's conclusion, but they disagree with its findings. The panel advises the FDA on scientific issues, and the agency is expected to provide a progress report on the future of menthol cigarettes in 90 days.