Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu January 27, 2011
Duke Opens Large Solar Farm
One of the biggest solar farms on the east coast is now generating power for customers of Duke Energy. The joint project with Sun Edison is located in Davidson County. Jason Walls works for Duke Energy. He says the facility will generate enough electricity to power 26-hundred homes.
"Its a large site. The 200 acres actually contains over 63-thousand solar panels. Anytime you see 63-thousand of anything its a pretty impressive sight and to think that those panels are capturing the energy from the sun and converting it into electricity for our customers, its a pretty cool project."
Walls says the project is part of a renewable energy portfolio mandated by the General Assembly.
Business & Economy