Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri February 24, 2012
Duke Cancer Center Opens
Cancer patients across the state have a new place to go for treatment. After a week of dedications and tours, the Duke Cancer Center opens to patients Monday. Doctor Michael Kastan is the Executive Director of the Duke Cancer Institute. He says the state-of-the-art seven story building unites a large number of specialists under one roof.
Michael Kastan: The medical oncologist, the surgical oncologist, the radiation oncologist and all the supportive care is there in that clinic as opposed to the patient having to go to all the different specialists either in different buildings or sometimes in different parts of the city or sometimes in different cities that everything is centered around the patient and their diagnosis so the physicians and the care come to them.
Kastan says the facility is also designed to feel more like a home than a hospital to help reduce patient anxiety.