Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- The Complex Identities Of Some Of America's Most Famous Black Men
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue February 21, 2012
Dalton Launches Gubernatorial Campaign
Lieutenant Governor Walter Dalton has officially announced his campaign for governor.
Jessica Jones: Dalton kicked off his campaign in a refurbished warehouse in downtown Durham. Mayor Bill Bell introduced Dalton before an enthusiastic crowd of supporters and some state lawmakers. The lieutenant governor says the city's drive to restore old buildings to make space for new businesses and industries symbolizes what the state needs to do to succeed.
Walter Dalton: I believe in that approach. That is why I picked Durham, the city of medicine, as the place to announce that this morning, I filed to run for the office of governor of North Carolina.
Dalton singled out Republican candidate Pat McCrory, saying he and other North Carolina Republicans want to take the state in the wrong direction by cutting education funding and economic incentives for business.