Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Thu April 19, 2012
The Beautiful Project
After her mother’s death, photographer Jamaica Gilmer interviewed the women in her family about the times they struggled with identity and how they developed their notions of beauty.
Their responses inspired her to create The Beautiful Project, a program that uses photography and workshops to build self-esteem in Black girls. Gilmer joins host Frank Stasio to talk about teaching young African-American women to recognize the beauty in their own images.