Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Mon August 8, 2011
American Tobacco Trail Extension Delayed
Efforts to extend a popular bike and pedestrian trail in Durham have hit a snag. City officials want to extend the American Tobacco Trail about 4 miles to the Chatham County line. That includes building a bridge across I-40. Bids for the project came in higher than expected. Ed Venable is a manager of engineering and stormwater for the City of Durham.
Ed Venable: The city's committed to proceeding with the project. It's probably the most popular project that I've worked with. So there's a definite will on the part of the city, and a definite desire on the part of the citizens to see the construction completed.
Venable says they'll still likely award the contract within 60 days and have the work done just on the bridge. He says a second phase of funding would include construction of the trail.
Business & Economy