As flood waters subside, Carteret County has been sending buses to shelters to bring home evacuees displaced by Hurricane Florence. Many of those evacuees have been staying at a megashelter in Chapel Hill since the storm made landfall last week.
Sen. Claire McCaskill says she will vote against Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court, but the Missouri Democrat, who is facing re-election in November, says it is not because of allegations of sexual misconduct swirling around the nominee. In a statement posted to Twitter on Wednesday, McCaskill says the allegations made by Christine Blasey Ford — the professor who says Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when the two were teenagers — are "troubling" and need to be examined....
One year ago, Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico . The Category 4 storm had winds up to 150 mph and decimated the unincorporated territory. Millions of Americans were left without power and water in Puerto Rico in the wake of the storm. A report from George Washington University estimated the death toll of the hurricane to be 2,975.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Lake Victoria, Tanzania ferry disaster death toll hits 100
- Chinese anger at US sanctions for Russian weapons purchases
- James Ricketson: Jailed Australian filmmaker granted Cambodia royal pardon
- Chinese nanny Mo Huanjing executed for arson killings
- Philippines landslide victims 'text for help'
- Suge Knight trial: Rap mogul pleads no contest over hit-and-run death