For the first time in nearly a decade, the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear a case involving constitutional gun rights. While the ruling will directly affect only a small group of people ‒ New York City residents who are licensed to own a handgun and want to be able to take that gun outside city limits ‒ the court’s decision to accept the case could signal a new willingness to wade into questions surrounding the Second Amendment. The national gun control debate was rocked by landmark...
Updated at 3:50 p.m. ET The Supreme Court has reinstated President Trump's order placing restrictions on transgender persons enlisting and serving in the military, by granting a stay of two lower court injunctions that had blocked the president's policy. The justices voted 5-4, reflecting the high court's conservative majority. The decision allows the Pentagon to prevent many transgender persons from joining or, in some circumstances, remaining in the military while the lower court rulings...
A record number of inmates killed themselves in North Carolina last year. Twelve inmates committed suicide in 2018, compared to six in 2017 and seven the year before. State prison officials are now forming a suicide prevention task force to address the issue.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Zimbabwe troops accused of 'systematic torture' of protesters
- Four held over New York state 'plot' against Muslims
- Rudolf Hess: DNA test disproves Spandau prison conspiracy theory
- 'Racist' D&G ad: Chinese model says campaign ruined her career
- Sabarimala: India woman who defied temple ban 'abandoned' by family
- Satellites saw rapid Greenland ice loss